I can’t figure out when I decided that I absolutely love everything about the “Back to School” time of year. A part of me feels like it’s something I’ve always loved, and thinking back- I can’t really remember a time when I was not happy about going back to school! It may be that fall is right around the corner, which happens to be my favorite time of year. I can smell the pumpkin spice and caramel as I’m writing this, and it makes me want to put on a sweater and turn on Hocus Pocus. Beyond that, though, I think there is something so refreshing about starting school. It’s a time of reflection, and a time to make some new goals.
Summer was CRAZY in the Goodrich household. I feel like a girl who is coming home from girls camp- stinky, dirty, tired, scraped up and possibly limping, but full of wonderful memories and good laughs. The only difference is, I’m not coming home to a clean room because well…I’m the mom now. Oh how I took those days for granted! My mom always wanted us to come home from camp to a clean room. She was the best. Anyway, summer was like the girls camp of my youth and now I stink and I’m limping back into my dirty room like “What the????”. We had a great summer, but it flew by!
Today I sent Veda on the bus for her last first day of preschool and it was bittersweet. She told me that she wanted to go out to the bus all on her own, but I followed her out anyway. I can’t believe how much that girl is growing up! This year they switched her preschool schedule, so it falls right over the first hour of Jude’s nap. Can I get a HALLELUJAH!! I will have one glorious hour of the day to do what I want! This, my friends, is the most precious gift. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely adore those two kiddos, but it will be so nice to have a little time for peace.
I won’t lie and say that coming back to the blog was totally easy, because it wasn’t. I have been fighting myself over it and have had that little devil on my shoulder telling me I’m not good enough, nobody cares, and I should put my efforts into something else. “Back to School” Resolutions have been weighing on my mind, and also wondering what to do with my most precious hour on those glorious 4 days out of the week.
So here I am, on my first precious hour of the school year- writing. Writing for myself. Writing to YOU my beautiful friends, who may need a laugh, or comradery, or perhaps just to know that there is someone else out there just like you- living for the precious hour of “me time”, minute in the pantry with chocolate, or second of being in the bathroom alone. Maybe I’m writing to you, empty nester, who wants to try something new but is afraid of going outside your comfort zone. Or maybe I’m writing to you, lonely person, who needs a friend and the blog seems like a good place to get to know someone. I’m here for myself, but also for all of you!
While we are on the subject of resolutions, here are a few “Back To School” resolutions and goals that I’m working on!
- Go to bed earlier! Oh how I live for that 3 hours of our “date” TV time! But seriously, I’m dragging every day so it’s time to get my booty in bed at least an hour earlier!
- Get my kids to eat more than one shape of noodle. Laugh all you want, the struggle is real in this house. It’s radiatore or nothing. Sometimes you just want to make one pot of spaghetti, or bow ties, or anything other than radiatore!
- Along with that, figure out one meal that everyone will eat. Lofty, but a worthy goal.
- Be more organized. I really need to get my sh*t together.
- Stay on the path. Most of you read my insta post about wanting to eat clean but basically never making it happen. You Guys. Macros are CHANGING MY LIFE! More on this later…
- More quality time with family. Enough said.
- Connecting with YOU more. I need friends, you guys. I want to know more about you, more about what you like, what you want to read, and gosh dang it lets be friends!
Do you make goals this time of year? In the words of our dear Tom Hanks, “I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address”.
SENDING ALL MY LOVE TO YOU AND HAPPY BACK TO SCHOOL!